Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Social Networks


In the year 2012 people are busy on their laptops, tablets, iPhones, and Androids. They’re using them to update their status, telling Facebook how they’re feeling and twitter what they’re doing, and looking at all the latest trends on Pinterest. They never seem to stop, but my question is, what would you do without the technology and social networks?

Facebook has been around for years, becoming so addicting to some people that in school their grades are lowering, at home their families aren’t coming together for dinner, and in the world outside they don’t talk to people face to face but instead by IM. Since 2004 this social network has been up and millions of people have joined, but have their lives improved? Was it worth getting a facebook? Twitter, not as popular as facebook, though it has not been around as long, seems even worse. Most people, sorry to say, don’t care what you did with your dog two seconds ago. We don’t care that you’ve been playing COD for two hours strait, or that you’re a party getting drunk. Pinterest, it’s there for people to make them feel like they aren’t good enough. Looking at pictures of people’s homes that look perfect, with the perfect family, with a nice porch, and handmade spring wreaths hanging on the cutest front door. Giving people weight loss tips because you just don’t look like that model in the pin above wearing a red and white striped bikini.

I’m guilty, I have a facebook, a twitter, and even a pinterest account, but I can’t even remember what life was like without any of these things. I wish I could look back and say, “Hey! I was doing perfectly fine before all of this!” Yes, I have attempted to get rid of my facebook, but I’ve become so addicted to it, that I can barely go a day without getting on facebook, twice, twitter I can live without. Pinterest doesn’t even seem that bad, it has cute ideas for crafts, cute clothes, quotes, hair ideas, recipes that everyone will enjoy and home improvement ideas, but what do you feel like after you’ve pinned all that stuff onto your boards? I probably will never get around to make anything, or do my hair, or buy the clothes that looked amazing on the girl in the picture, and, I hate cooking.

Our society today has made men, women, girls, and boys think they need to look a certain way, do certain things, and live a life that seams flawless. We think we need to impress people so we will be liked, but if you look around, your true friends and your family don’t care. They don’t care that you have stick strait hair when the style is curly, they don’t care that you don’t weigh 120 when you’re just a few pounds away, they just want you to be you. This doesn’t mean that you shouldn’t try your best, but that you shouldn’t try to become someone you’re not. I can honestly say I miss being able not to care what people say about me, and that I didn’t have to get on facebook everyday when I get bored and I want to feel like I’m pretty and that I’m not messing up as a daughter or a friend or a sister, I wish society didn’t take over the lives of people.

So, imagine one day where facebook, twitter, and pinterest are all gone and weren’t ever coming back. What would you do that first day? I picture that everyone would freak out for the first couple of hours, sit around realize that they’re bored, and go outside. Hang out with friends and be with their families, and be worry free. I guess my grandma was right when she said, “That facebook will rot you’re brain and people are going to be taken over by it,” or when a lady that lives by me said, “Pinterest will get old and people will get tired of feeling like they haven’t accomplished a thing in their lives.” I’m going to go delete my pinterest right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment